Sunday, April 21, 2013

Personal Development

There were many things I learned about myself from this experience, but the one thing that stood out has been learning about how I coped with the learning process. I have noticed my reactions to the challenges have progressed through different adjustment stages, and I have taken different approaches to the process depending on my perception. I have tried direct and indirect coping strategies to daily challenges. I have also retreated and re-charged to keep myself engaged in the learning process. The solid supervision experiences have been instrumental in helping me stay focus on my professional development. The insightful feedback I received from my supervisors helped me to better understand the internal processes I experience as I navigate through the different work task. 

First and foremost, the very basic development would be the punctuality I display everyday on arriving for work on time. This has enabled me to receive good impression not only from my colleagues but also from my company supervisor. With this I am said to have a positive work attitude towards the internship. It shows that I am dedicated to the job, interested in the work and capable of handling responsibilities. Being punctual helps me project a sense of professionalism and commitment.


Besides that, I developed the ability to self manage my many work load by setting targets and working out a plan to successfully achieve them. This also comes with the tenacity I found within myself to never give up when the going gets tough. For example, when I found out that I needed wrap almost 50 over A1 boards and 22 acrylic A5 stands individually in one day, I knew that it was going to take forever to be done with that. In addition to that, I had to write consignment forms for each of the parcel which includes the outlet addresses, telephone number and the attendee. I would always like to finish tasks on my own and that was what I did. In the end, with minimal procrastination and continuous efforts, I managed to finish all that by 7.30 pm. This was also possible since I outlined steps of which should be done first and so on.

When I have minimal work on hand, I would always ask my company supervisor if I could help her with anything. She never fail to give me work tasks when asked. As time goes on, I found myself having the initiative to help my other colleagues with their work tasks. This was so much so that one of my colleagues ended up being my supervisor than the company supervisor herself. I was asked to do many assignments which took off really hectic for weeks until the end of my internship.

To efficiently carry out my work tasks, I have to develop an understanding towards my clients on how they would like things done and how things should be done. With information they provide, I was able to locate, extract, synthesize, and utilize their information correctly. Meaning, learning independently was also what I experienced. For instance when producing an artwork for CIMB clients, with the information they provided through email I was able to adapt it carefully into the artwork. The main reasons of their rejects mainly would be due to the format of the artwork as they have different types and it keeps changing all the time. 

This internship has also allowed me to add to my knowledge of using Adobe Illustrator CS5. The software was an essential part of my work as I need to produce artworks using it. It has allowed me to satisfy my clients although some adjustments are needed along the way of getting to the final results. However, I have only learned what is needed for my job scope so I can say that I am still no expert in using this software.

Objectives Achieved:

From the expectations and goals set during the internship preparation, I managed to develop skills in the application of theory to practical work situations. Also, another objective that I manage to achieve is that the internship did motivate me to continue and enhance my education so that I could end up in a better position in the future.







No comments:

Post a Comment