Sunday, April 21, 2013

People and Team Skills

The skill of listening is important in all aspects of our life and especially with ourselves being among people. When you listen to another person, you demonstrate respect for that person. Effective listening means actively listening and involves working to overcome many of the barriers to listening by asking questions, removing distractions, and listening with the intent to report. During my internship, I was encouraged to listen to my client demands. When clients are talking, I listen and vise versa. There is an exchange of respect there. Same goes to my colleagues and I.


To form a bond with my colleagues, I managed to join them for a session of badminton after working hours. It really enables me to connect more with them in addition to all the time spent in office. During special days such as Chinese New Year or birthdays, we would plan beforehand of a theme. That is only how far it goes.

Challenges Faced

Language barrier would sometimes occur with my colleagues as they converse most of the time in Mandarin. I on the other hand can only understand some of the language. Therefore most of the time, besides work related issues there is not much personal interest to talk about.


Basically in the company, we do not work as a team. Everyone works independently with our own work tasks and if there is any queries, I will either ask my company supervisor or my direct supervisor. All the time its just me facing the computer for hours with minimal communication with my colleagues as no one is sitting beside me. Well, actually there is Winson but he's out most of the time. So, the worse is still having my company supervisor around because it makes the working environment very tense. My colleagues will only start communicating when she is out for meetings and sorts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment